"From the Desert to the Sea, to All of Southern California." - Jerry Dunphy

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Aviation Hill LAX

Concerning the delicate subject of young people necking I submit the location know as Aviation Hill, next to LAX as the best spot in Los Angeles for a necking. That is it used to be back in the 1970’s. Aviation Hill was a small hill between Pershing Drive and Vista Del Mar at the west end of LAX. Ideally you would park at the summit or the downside facing the runway. It was a public spot and out in the open so your activities were usually limited to necking. For those youngsters wondering what necking is I am sure Google can supply an adequate definition.

I discovered Aviation Hill in the early 1970’s after I learned to drive and spent most of my free hours driving all over L.A. The airport was a natural hangout as my Dad worked at Flying Tiger Line on World Way West. I would sometimes go to work with him and walk around the hangars and watch the planes. When I was able to drive on my own I went looking for places to park and watch the airplanes takeoff. It was then I discovered the hill. One night I drove down to the hill and discovered folks parked in cars not taking advantage of the view to watch airplanes takeoff. I thought what a great way to share your love of airplanes with another as the roar of the plane rocks your butt. Back I came the next night with a female companion. What an ideal spot to watch airplanes on one side of the hill and submarine races on the ocean side of the hill.

I will spare you the details and names but I remember stopping at Aviation Hill many times before I took my date home. I might add the other great spot to hang out back in those days was the Queen Mary when you could just walk on board and watch the boats and water.

A little over 2 years ago my good friend Phone Rat and I went out to LAX one more time before I left town. We drove along Pershing and saw Aviation Hill empty and overgrown by weeds held back by a chain link fence. We sat there for a few moments lamenting one of our favorite spots. I closed my eyes and I could almost hear the planes flying over my car as the sound of Bruce Springsteen’s “Prove it All Night” plays on the stereo as I hold my girlfriend in my arms.

No comments: