"From the Desert to the Sea, to All of Southern California." - Jerry Dunphy

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Builders Emporium Reseda Store #618

My collection of Builders Emporium pictures is thin so I think this is the last photo I have. Of course it was Halloween 1977 which accounts for my fellow paint department employee (Sam) being dressed up as some sort of elf. Thankfully I had left Builders the previous August so I didn't have to dress up at work. I did dress up that night when we all got together. I wore my oriental pajama bottoms and a black vinyl jacket. I wanted to be comfortable. Whenever we had parties I would dress up as Hawkeye from M*A*S*H in a bathrobe and a cowboy hat.

I was just talking to Radio Rat about his previous BE post. It has received quite a few comments which we are grateful for. So far we have only heard from one fellow employee (Jeff)from our Reseda store #618. Radio rat reminded about the Thriftymart that was across the parking lot and how he used to go get a coffee cake for the 10:15 am break. I had forgotten about the Thriftymart stores. He also mention a place called Zig's that had a great bullet sandwich. Does anyone remember it. He said it is still there.

When I read the last comment on the previous BE post I wrote back wondering if anyone had started a BE group on Facebook. I know we just started one for our Demolay days. We look forward to hearing from anyone who worked in the BE organization.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Intersting. Glad I found this I worked for Builder’s Westminister part time while going to Long Beach State after I got out of the Navy from 1971-73 then decided to go full tine as part of store management. A few months later I joined the newly formed merchandising team. I had my territory in Orange and Riverside counties and was excited at the way the company was improving. Unfortunatly we were bought out by Vornado Corp. out of New Jersey who owned the 2 Guys discount stores in 1974. My job changed so in 1975 I left. Builder’s whole philosophy changed under Vornado.