"From the Desert to the Sea, to All of Southern California." - Jerry Dunphy

Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Steak Burger Van Nuys CA

Does anyone remember a small place called Steak Burger that was at 6336 Woodman Ave. in Van Nuys? It was on the east side of the street just south of Victory Blvd. We used to go there back in the 70's. They had very large hamburgers on what I recall seemed like a specially made bun. We would cut classes at Valley College and go there or to Jack in the Box on the other side of Woodman. Then we would go play golf. This is probably why I spent too many years at Valley College and ended up with nothing but memories of cutting classes. The location of Steak Burger was about at the spot in the picture below


Thanks again to Google Street View

4 comments:

Ourmanflint1 said...

Yes, it was run by a man who ground his own burger mix and baked his own bun. He would arrive at 4AM and by 11:30 there would be a line around the building. Seating was on steel plates attached to poles that were bolted around the building in front of an attached wood counter that ran around the building, He also served fresh cut skin-on steak fries.

As I recall, he sold the place in the 80's and little by little the quality diminished. Eventually, it was like any other stand and then it closed. They were yummy!

Anonymous said...

I ate there in the 70s. Though I'd driven past the place for years, my friend took me there and it was love at first bite. He called it Greaseburger. I used to see the owner's wife at Ralph's. I loved the homemade onion rolls and lemonade.

I've looked on the internet for people who ate there and have finally found you!

Anonymous said...

We used to call it grease burger too! That's the name I remembered.

Anonymous said...

I loved that place! The cokes tasted like chemicals but the burgers, fries and Polish dogs were great...the secret was in the grease as everything was greasy which only added to the taste...as I recall I used to see them deliver meat there where he ground it himself, also the buns were obviously made on premises as they were all different shapes. The Steakburger was one of my favorite memories of the Valley in the 1970's. WRG