"From the Desert to the Sea, to All of Southern California." - Jerry Dunphy

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hazeltine Ave. School September 1960


Here are two pictures from my first day of school in September 1960. One is a picture of the outside of my elementary classroom and the other is me as the letter T and a friend. On the back of the photo is written the name Kathleen and a question mark. So I am unsure if it is the woman or the child. I assume they live in our small complex.

I recall my mom was upset because my Grandfather was in town from Dayton Ohio and he walked me to school. My mom wrote in a school scrapbook that I only spent half a year in kindergarten. I peaked early it seems.

According to my Billboard Top 40 Hits book, "It's Now or Never" by Elvis was the number one song that day. Soon to be followed by a reentry of "The Twist". Holy cow!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. G-Rat,

In the second picture, is that the library with the open door?

If you can't remember then I'll see about getting you some sodium pentothol. It might help. It might be fun.

Thanks for posting those two photos.

Bob Walance

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...I see. From the title on the photo, it's one of the kindergarten classes. So, the camera is pointed toward the southwest, right?

Bob Walance

Carey A, Wilson said...

Yes it is pointed toward the SW. It's not a good picture but it seems to be all I have. Seeing it is enough to send me back down memory lane. I have some Fulton JHS pictures I should scan and post. Those are inside the auditorium. Good to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh...really? The Fulton auditorium, eh?

I would like to see those. I have fond memories of playing in Chuck Davidson's concert band even though I only knew four notes on the trombone. I never could quite reach seventh position back then. Still can't.

Bob Walance

Carey A, Wilson said...

I'll look for them this weekend. They are in my office closet. Four notes must have been good enough to keep you in the band. Any pictures?

Anonymous said...

Sadly, no Fulton band pictures from when I was there. I used to have a '68 yearbook but it's gone. Gayle has several Fulton yearbooks and I know that she likes dark chocolate. Some women like diamonds. Gayle's a very practical and down-to-earth person. I can afford to bribe her and she only lives about 10 miles from me. I'm an excellent driver.

Bob Walance

Carey A, Wilson said...

She likes dark chocolate, I knew there was a reason I liked her. Your mission has my blessing and might I add your an excellent friend as well. Tell her hello for me.

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.