"From the Desert to the Sea, to All of Southern California." - Jerry Dunphy

Search This Blog

Friday, November 26, 2010

Captain K-Earth Decoder

Here is my Captain K-Earth Decoder courtesy of The Wherehouse. I forget the exact date I got it but the date on the back says 1974 so safe to say it was the 70's. Decoders were popular when my Dad was a kid. He had a ring decoder and a pin decoder which you wore. I have them somewhere in a trunk. The cardboard Captain K-Earth decoder is a little less grand but it is still a neat memory.

The other memory is of course The Wherehouse Record store. In the old days after I got paid and covered the bills, I would head off to The Wherehouse and Tower Records to drop a few dollars into their lap. I still have some of my old record and tape collection but not the quantity I used to have. Moving it from place to place makes you thin it out over time.

There is only one used CD store near where I live now and it specializes in in genres I don't follow. I hate to sound like an old man but that's one more experience of youth that is lost. I imagine over time book stores will perish as well with things like the Kindle and iPad.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just searched eBay and couldn't find any Captain K-Earth decoders, so it must be extremely rare.

A lady I know is a school librarian. She says that the LAUSD is phasing out school libraries due to the internet. Perhaps our kids will get enough practice reading and writing by texting each other on their phones. I'm glad that I grew up when I did.

Bob Walance

Carey A, Wilson said...

That's sad they are phasing out libraries. I was talking to my wife the other night and I mentioned the dame thing as you, that I am glad I grew up when I did. Of course I still miss LP's, putting the record on and reading the cover and inserts.

I never did research to see if the decoder was worth anything. Perhaps I should. Do I hear any bids?

Thanks Bob.

Rastreator said...

What a neat idea...my mom's been having kidney problems recently and I'll think I'll share this with her! Thanks for your humor!

Anonymous said...

i have a k-earth decoder wheel also.and i am sure me n git rat r the only ones..lmao !