"From the Desert to the Sea, to All of Southern California." - Jerry Dunphy

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Box Memories

I started collecting boxes when my Dad gave me a wooden cigar box. At the time I didn't realize I would become a collector. As time passed my Dad gave me more cigar boxes which I used to store some of my better pens in. Dad also gave me some English Leather cologne boxes made of wood. After a while they stopped making them out of wood and made them out of heavy cardboard, and I have some of those. I started putting all sorts or small items in these small boxes. Boxes went inside other boxes and they all began to take over my closet. The other day I went through my closet and came across many of these boxes which mostly contained items from my parents. i took pictures and thought I would share some of the contents here.

In the top left hand corner is a money clip my Grandfather received for a work anniversary. Next to it is a money clip from The Mint Hotel in Las Vegas that my parents bought me. Next to it is an old Illinois brand pocket watch that belonged to my grandfather.

The "C" hood ornament belonged to my Dad's last car, a 1978 Chevy Nova Concours model. The ring belonged to my dad and used to have a black onyx and diamond. I still have the broken onyx and the diamond went into my Dad's masonic ring which I still have. Theitem below the ring is a decoder of some sort from 1936. It has numbers around it and the disk that moves under it contains letters. Next to that is a key chain like item from Ralston "Straight Shooters" that spells "good luck" when you spin the disk. Below that is a Lakewood Ohio Bicycle license that belonged to my Dad, probably from the late 30's or early 40's. Lastly to the right is an Ohio State Chauffeurs pin from 1944. It was in with my Dad's stuff but I am not sure if it was his.

1 comment:

Norah said...

Great blogg I enjoyed reading