"From the Desert to the Sea, to All of Southern California." - Jerry Dunphy

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

American Pie Flashback


Phone Rat recently went on one of his L.A. excursions and came across this Don McLean concert poster for an upcoming concert. Don McLean's song American Pie was released in the fall of 1971. I was in a band at the time (Phone rat was our roadie) and  the popularity of the song demanded we learn it and play it. It's an easy song to learn and play and everyone seemed to like it. I didn't have an acoustic guitar at the time so I muted the tone on my guitar and used a felt auto harp pick to further mute my electric guitar sound. Below is a picture (Me and Radio Rat) of our band, The Destinations  from December 1971. The vest and tie uniform is still a bit embarrassing but that's okay. Unfortunately this photo doesn't show the throngs of girls at the bottom of the stage or the underwear they threw on the stage...yeah.

No comments: